The Brick Township Fire Training Academy shall povide opportunities for entities other than the Fire Companies servicing the Township of Brick, to train as a group- via our Training Center Drill Program. This program includes the use of our burn building, fuel spill area, SCBA maze, drafting area, E.V.O.C. driving range, roof ventilation area, vehicle extrication area, confine space area, sprinkler mock-up area, fire extinguisher training area, and classroom facilities. Drill program areas are scheduled based upon availability with the Burn Building limited to March -December (weather permitting). To assure safe and effective use of the facilities, the Brick Township Fire Training Academy has promulgated the following rules and regulations.
Township Entities - All Township Entities shall be given priority. All Township Fire Companies shall provide a drill schedule with proposed use dates and notify and confirm Fire Training Academy usage at least 72 hours in advance to obtain the use of the training center.
All Other Entities - All other entities shall submit requests for the use of the Training Center on an Application For Use Form. A separate application form must be submitted for each request. In order for consideration, applications must be received on or before the tenth of the month prior to the month requested. All requests for use shall be kept in order of receipt. No walk - ins shall be permitted. Only completed applications shall be considered. Incomplete applications shall be returned.
Outside Agency - Mutual Aid Companies - are allowed ONE (1) scheduled drill as a guest with a Brick Township Fire Company per year, with no fee.
Each application must be accompanied by proof of insurance or in the alternative, the applicant may submit Certification of Insurance for a period not to exceed one (1) year, which shall remain on file.
The following insurance is required:
- Statutory Workers' Compensation and Employer's Liability Insurance;
- Comprehensive, all risks, General Liability Insurance including Personal Injury and Property Damage Liability of not less than $1,000,000.00 each occurrence / $1,000,000.00 annual aggregate;
- Automobile Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Insurance with a limit of not less than $1,000,000.00 combined single limit.
All services will be based on the current fee schedule. Payment can be made by check or voucher, made payable to Brick Township Joint Board of Fire Commissioners, 500 Herbertsville Road, Brick, New Jersey 08724. Check or Voucher must be received within Seven (7) days from the date of confirmation notice.
Cancellations shall be received 72 hours before the scheduled use date. If the scheduled user does not notify the Fire Training Academy Personnel prior to that time, and said user fails to use the reserved use date, then the user shall be billed for that date. Any requests for waiver from this procedure shall be directed to the Brick Township Joint Board of Fire Commissioners and all decisions shall be final.
Right of Refusal
The Brick Township Fire Training Academy reserves the right to refuse any application, if, in the opinion of Training Center Personnel the applicant or proposed drill would:
- Pose possible harm to personnel, directly or indirectly involved in use;
- Cause damage to the Fire Training Academy
- Not meet nationally accepted safe practices for fire or emergency service training.
All users of the Brick Township Fire Training Academy shall have a State Certified Qualified Training Officer (QTO) present at all times. The Brick Fire Training Academy shall supply the Qualified Training Officer as per the current fee schedule. Instructors utilized for the live fire exercises must meet certain criteria in order for the live fire training area to be utilized. The Instructor in charge of the exercise must hold a valid Fire Instructor Level II Certification as per N.J.A.C. 5:73C with SCBA / Smokehouse and Live Burn Certification.
The following regulations must be followed for registering at the Brick Township Fire Training Academy:
- When scheduling drills to be held at the Brick Township Fire Training Academy, you must submit the training areas and the type of expendables you would like to use.
- All drills must be requested through the use of a Brick Township Fire Training Academy application form.
- One drill application must be completely filled out and submitted for each drill request. Applications must be received before the tenth of the month prior to the month requested.
- The current fee schedule for drills include the use of one training area,1 (one) Brick Township State Certified Training Instructor, expendables for a three (3) hour period. Additional areas and expendables for one or consecutive drill sessions are available at an additional cost. See fee schedule (Appendix A).
- A drill request may be denied if it conflicts with a Brick Township Fire Training Academy class or a pre-scheduled drill. Drills may also be postponed due to unsafe conditions resulting from weather. Such conditions can include freezing rains, hail, snow, and thunderstorms.
Drill confirmations will be sent to the sponsoring agency approximately 14 days prior to the start of the drill. Please submit appropriate payment upon receipt of your drill confirmation.
Fire Training Equipment
Each Fire Department, which uses the Brick Township Fire Training Academy, shall provide their own fire apparatus and equipment. Fire Apparatus shall be permitted on blacktop areas ONLY.
Use of Live Victims
Any training sessions performed at the Brick Township Fire Training Academy shall not use any personnel as victims for any evolution. Only inanimate objects will be used as victims. This shall include; fire training dummies, hose dummies, and mannequins.
The Brick Township Fire Training Academy shall not be responsible to provide any medical services nor will the Brick Township Fire Training Academy be responsible for any medical expenses related to the use of the training facility. All medical treatment and expenses shall be the responsibility of the users. (See Live Fire Training Evolutions, Item #6, Page 9)
Burn Building and Fuel Spill Burn Pad
The Brick Township Fire Training Academy shall provide expendable materials for use on the fire training grounds. These expendables shall include:
- Smoke fluid
NOTE: The user will be billed as per the current fee schedule.
Fire Training Academy - Office Hours 08:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Monday through Friday
Telephone/Fax (732) 458-0555
Web Site: www.brickfire.org
Brick Township Fire Training Academy
253 Brick Blvd.
Brick, NJ 08723
This policy shall apply to all Live Fire training exercises conducted by / and or conducted at the Brick Township Fire Training Academy, in structures or sites owned or controlled by the Brick Township Joint Board of Fire Commissioners. These standards shall be in accordance with current State laws and nationally recognized standards. These laws and standards include:
- N.J.A.C. 5:73C
- NFPA 1500
- NFPA 1403
This policy shall apply to the following specific types of training:
- Live Fire Training exercises at the Brick Township Fire Training Academy
- Live Fire Training exercises utilizing flammable and combustible liquids, pressurized liquefied flammable gases in outside areas.
NOTE: All Live Fire Training exercises in structures conducted by or sponsored by the Brick Township Fire Training Academy shall be conducted within a structure specifically designed to conduct Live Fire Training exercises on a repetitive basis. ie: Burn Room
All Brick Township Fire Companies shall forward a list of certified Instructors to Brick Township Fire Training Academy Personnel to be kept on file at the Training center. All instructors shall meet State certifications as per N.J.A.C. 5:73C. They are as follows:
- Fire Instructor Level I
- Fire Instructor Level II
- Drill Ground Instructor Certification
Anytime a Brick Township Fire Company uses the Fire Training Academy they must have a Certified Instructor on the premises. If Live Burn Training or use of the smokehouse is to take place there must be an Instructor with SCBA / Smokehouse and Live Burn Certification, and proper training has been received with the use of both T-1000 - Burn Simulator and F-1000 - Fuel Spill Simulator.
Anytime an outside agency uses the Brick Township Fire Training Academy a Lead Instructor will be provided.
This form is used to apply for outside Fire Department use of our facility:
The form below is used by individual students wishing to attend a scheduled course at Brick Township Fire Training Academy: