The Ladies' Auxiliary of Pioneer Hose Fire Company
Early in 1933, a group of women from Osbornville undertook an ambitious project the formation of a Ladies Auxiliary to Brick Townships first Fire Company. They would be affiliated with the Pioneer Hose Company No. 1, which had organized only six years prior. The Ladies Auxiliarys charter was drawn and approved April 1934. The Auxiliarys first elected officer were:
ELLA OSBORN, President
MAY L. GANT, Secretary
NELLIE CLAYTON, Treasurer
The primary concern of this organization was to raise funds to help finance Pioneer Hose Company No. 1, which was still in its infancy.
The ladies then, as now, solicited the aid of the local residents, which at that time included Silverton, since that area was being served by Pioneer Hose. Money raised through card parties and dinners help equip and maintain Brick Townships first organized Fire Company.
The Ladies Auxiliary has come a long way. In the early days, small kerosene stoves were used and the members had to bring their own pots, pans, dishes and silverware. Today, they have a large restaurant-type range, modern steam table, large coffee urns and other necessary equipment.
In April of 1975, the Ladies Auxiliary were the first in Ocean County to join the Ladies Auxiliary of the State Firemen's Association. From that we were able to form the Ladies Auxiliary of the Ocean County Firemen's Association.
Through the years, the Ladies of Pioneer Hose Company No. 1 have not lost sight to the principal reason for their founding to aid the men who fight fire. At a fire of any duration, the Ladies are always there, serving coffee and sandwiches to the firefighters of District No. 1.