- Home Safety -
Before lighting your grill, remember to place the grill away from combustible products (the deck, the house, brush and trees) and away from where children can reach.
Don't leave the grill unattended.
Dispose of hot coals properly - douse them with water and stir.
Most kitchen fires occur because food is left unattended on the stove or in the oven.
Don't wear loose fitting clothing or clothing with loose dangling sleeves while cooking, they can easily get ignited by the flames.
(IF YOUR CLOTHES SHOULD CATCH ON FIRE - REMEMBER TO STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DROP DOWN TO THE FLOOR, AND ROLL UNTIL THE FLAMES ARE OUT. THEN GET IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION BY CALLING 9-1-1)
Grease is extremely flammable. Keep a lid that fits the pot nearby. In case of a flare-up, safely put the lid on the pot. DON'T remove the lid until completely cool. Always use a potholder when handling a hot pot or lid.
NEVER use water to extinguish the flame or a fire extinguisher; the extinguisher and water will cause the grease fire to spread. Simply put a lid on the pot and leave it there until completely cooled.
Keep your cooking surfaces clean and free of obstructions.
Use caution when cooking around young children. (Turn the pot handles inwards). Don't leave them alone in the kitchen when the oven or stove is 'ON'.
If you encounter an oven FIRE, turn off the heat - KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED. Call 9-1-1.
If you are cooking in the microwave and a fire occurs inside it. If you can safely unplug the microwave, do so. Keep the door closed to the unit and call 9-1-1.
CLOTHES DRYER SAFETY
Several fires have occurred in Brick Township because of lint buildup in a clothes dryer. Remember to clean lint filters before and after every use and don't forget to remove accumulated lint from around the drum.
Don't leave your dryer running when you leave the home.
Have equipment inspected and maintained by a professional regularly.